75¢ Shelf Sitters - Easy to do!
75¢ Shelf Sitter Tutorial
This is a super easy DIY project to make for under 75¢ and is great for craft shows and Christmas gifts! Most of the supplies I have already in my stock but the 8' pine board cost $5.98 at Lowes and the napkins was $1 for a pack of 18, and I can get 2 blocks out of one napkin.
- Matte Modge Pudge
- Foam brush
- Stickles or glitter glue
- White paint
- Stain of choice
- Cocktail Napkin of your choice (this one came from Dollar Tree in 2018)
- 2" X 6" x 8' Pine Board
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Cut down your pine board into 16 blocks approximately 5 7/8" by 5 7/8". (Double check your measurements)
- Sand the blocks and stain using color of choice. I used a waterbase stain called "Chocolate"
- Once dry, paint 1 side of the block with white paint. Doesn't matter, acrylic, latex, chalk. Just make sure it is white. This is to ensure that the color of your napkin print "pops". Be sure to let dry well.
- Unfold your napkin so that you get it down to the very thinest of layers. It should resemble tissue paper.
- Trim your napkin so that it overhangs your block on all side by at least 1/2".
- Take a very very very thin layer of modge podge and paint your block on the white side. Very thin. Do not be heavy handed. Do not apply to any other part of the block.
- Quickly place and center your napkin on the block. Smoothing out the wrinkles. Be gentle. It can tear easy. As you can see, I have a few wrinkles, but I like that look.
- Let dry.
- Take your fine grit sandpaper and sand off the excess napkin. I like to give the corners an extra little sanding for appearance.
- Apply a second very very very thin layer of modge podge to the top of the image. Let dry for 24 hours.
- Embellish with stickles, bows, bells or whatever your heart desires.
The board and napkins cost me a total of $6.98 divided by 16 is 43¢ each, then I figure in extra for the paint, stain, sandpaper, etc and each block would cost less than 75¢ to make.
See Easy Peasy.
Want more tutorials? Sign up for our newsletter!